What is an EPZ Mat?
The Equipotential Grounding Mat (EPZ Mat) is a wood 3 ply mat with a metal grate (that is re-usable after timbers deteriorate) which creates an equipotential ground and bonding work zone. EPZ Mats are positioned on the ground to create an equipotential zone for puller and tensioner sites. EPZ Mats bond together with 4/O copper cables and 2 lug bracket ensuring they will not come loose. A steel channel is also protecting wires and lugs from snapping off. Each corner has 4/O cables with grounding couplers to ensure proper grounding is completed for the mats (creating EPZ and work zone safety). Each of the 4 corners of the mat will attach to grounding rods. The additional lug areas on EPZ Mats are for securing grounding cables between stringing equipment and mats. The EPZ patent pending mat can be removed from timbers and re-used on other timbers allowing for longer life, resulting in huge savings.
Why EPZ Mats?
According to the Safety, Health and Environmental Program Manual, establishing equipotential zone for puller and tensioner sites are created to protect employees performing wire stringing operations at the puller or tensioner/reel stand location, the equipment should be positioned on an established equipotential work zone.
Grounding and bonding during wire string operations general rules:
- During stringing wire, tensioning or removing de-energized conductors there is the possibility of the conductor accidentally contacting an energized circuit or receiving a dangerous induced voltage buildup. To further protect the employee from the hazards of the conductor, the conductor being installed or removed shall be grounded or provisions made to insulate or isolate the employee.
- Prior to stringing parallel to an existing energized transmission line, a competent designation shall be made to ascertain where dangerous induced voltage buildups could occur, particularly during switching and ground fault conditions.
- When there is a possibility that such dangerous induced voltage may exist, all provisions of equipotential grounding and bonding must be followed.
- All pulling and tensioning equipment shall be isolated, insulated, and effectively grounded.
Cost Savings on EPZ Mats
- Re-usable steel grates and cables.
- Lower Trucking Cost - grates can be shipped separately without weight of timber mat.
- Lower Labor Cost - easy to bolt together the (patent pending) system. Allows for quick and easy assembly and removal.
- Quickly install on new or used 8'x14' 3 ply timber access mats.
- Grates and cables can be purchased separately from timber mat.
- No more temporary products that have to be purchased over and over again for EPZ work safety zone.